Lee Swee Kiat Group Bhd (LSK) is a public company that create more jobs for Malaysians. listed on the Bursa Malaysia Securities Bhd. It was founded since 1975. LSK owns two manufacturing facilities that occupy a total land area of 440,000 square feet. LSK is one of the most extensive mattress manufacturers in South East
Asia with one-stop production lines including natural latex foam, polyurethane foam and various spring productions. More than 50% of LSK products are exported. LSK operates a retail chain store under International Brands Gallery – IBG, that promotes Ergonomic beddings and furniture.
Sustainable Green Natural Latex Bedding
LSK uses 100% natural latex as the key material in producing environmentally friendly “green” latex mattresses. The use of natural latex encourages the plantation of rubber trees. Rubber tree is recognized as one of the best “Carbon Sink” as it absorbs and retains the carbon dioxide in the air and “trapped” them in the latex sap. The latex mattress is naturally bio-degradable, and the carbon is then naturally released back to the ecosystem.
Besides, LSK uses “Green Technology” in its production that has superior efficiency in energy yield and recovery. Clean natural gas is used to power a turbine generator for power, and a heat exchanger is used to recover the heat generated to be used back in the drying process of latex production. This in effect could recover up to 90% of energy conversion from natural gas, against sub 50% in TNB’s electricity generation. This enhances the sustainability of energy consumption.
- In 2016, LSK was awarded by the Malaysia Book of Records as the Largest Natural Latex Bedding Manufacturer, as witnessed by the then Malaysian Plantation Industries and Commodity Minister Datuk Seri Mah Siew Keong. Which was a key milestone achieved by LSK in its quest to be a world class player specializing in Green product.
- LSK natural latex was certified by world reknown testing bodies from Germany namely ECO Unweltinstitut and LGA for safety and durability.
What impact has this project created in the community/nation?
Our products are exported to countries including Korea, China, Japan, Europe as well as USA. Total export proceeds exceed RM300 millions since inception. Our investment total RM30 mil over the years together with service and maintenance awards total RM10 mil are awarded to the local contractors and engineering firms. Thus, help to nurture and support our local engineering industries and Lee Swee Kiat Group Bhd (LSK) is a public company that create more jobs for Malaysians.
How has this project helped to advance the chosen SDG?
LSK has successfully launched its natural latex project and it has contributed more than 50% of the whole group’s turnover as at 2017. It was in line with LSK’s mission to generate good returns responsibly for shareholders, by using sustainable materials as well as production methods and energy efficiency.
The tagline for United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs) is “Leaving No One Behind.” explain how your project helps to realize the commitment of UNSDGs for the future.
LSK’s project help to achieve the following goals
- To produce environmentally friendly latex products that is naturally biodegradable
- Rubber is an excellent “Carbon Sink” which help to trapcarbon dioxide from the atmosphere over its economic useful life
- We created a natural product that is free from harmful chemical. Thus, improving the health aspect of our consumers by reducing their exposure to chemicals.
- We encourage local engineering support industry which creates job opportunities for local engineers and SMEs for technical skills.
- We encourage Research and Development in domestic latex technology development by working closely with the Malaysia Rubber Board in developing new and improved formulations.
- We deliver high value added to turn latex commodity into high value-added latex mattress.
- We created 142 job opportunities in our factory and admin operations
- We utilize “Green Technology” as certified by the Malaysia Industrial Development Authority “MIDA” in our energy generation and heat recovery system. We achieve up to 90% energy yield from the system against traditionally around 50% yield as achieved by TNB, the national power supply company.
- e invested in a comprehensive waste water treatment plant to ensure all waste water are properly treated in accordance to the requirements of the Department of Environment “DOE”. All solid waste is disposed of through authorized agents as scheduled waste in accordance to DOE requirements. All crystal-clear treated water is discharged into the drainage system