SWEPA WOMEN ENTREPRENEURS AND PROFESSIONALS ASSOCIATION (SWEPA)
SWEPA is a Non-Governmental organization whose formation was spearheaded by the Economic Committee of the Sabah Women’s Advisory Council in March 1993. It was registered with the Registrar of Societies in May 1994.
In 2010, the Sunway Education Trust Fund was officially converted into the Jeffrey Cheah Foundation where the equity of Sunway Education Group’s learning institutions worth more than RM1 billion today was transferred to the Foundation, making it the largest education-focused social enterprise in Malaysia with 16 institutions. Sunway Education Group is owned and governed by the Jeffrey Cheah Foundation with its creed – “Nurturing the seeds of wisdom”.
SWEPA aims to bring women entrepreneurs and professionals to the forefront in the economic development of the state and nation.
SWEPA seeks to provide a platform for women for women entrepreneurs and professionals to network and to be trained.
A unique village project that empowers Sabah’s MARGINALIZED INDIGENOUS ILLITERATE WOMEN who are GRANDMOTHERS as solar ‘engineers’ of the SWEPA BAREFOOT solar electrification system in their own, off-grid and inaccessible communities.
- Barefoot College India – provide the illiterate grandmothers 6 months technical training in India
- Asian Forestry Co – identifying the village and provide logistical support
- SGP-GEF Programs & Tan Sui Lin Foundation – provide funding for the solar equipments
- Raleigh Borneo – provide volunteers to build the Rural Electrical Workshop
- BOMBA – provide heli to airlift the solars , etc..