JCI Elite was established in 2011 in Georgetown, Penang.
In June 2011, a group of energetic and ambitious young adults decided to establish a platform to learn and share, create business opportunities and networking, as well as to serve the community. JCI Elite aims to deliver their best by attracting members of various backgrounds and professions, to contribute their strength to create greater global impact for positive change!
Junior Chamber International (JCI) is a voluntary, world-wide personal development organization for young professionals and entrepreneurs in their twenties and thirties.
The mission of JCI is to provide development opportunities that empower young people to create positive change.
Active participation in JCI provides members with the opportunities to:
- Enhance their career prospects & add new skills to their CV
- Develop their leadership ability
- Expand their professional and social contacts locally and across the globe
- Increase their selfconfidence
- Gain practical project management experience in a safe and supportive environment.
Love is all around project was introduced in year 2017, which fall under COMMUNITY area, target to provide solutions to community issues.
In 05 November 2017, storm hit Penang state. The sudden flood strikes set panic alarm causing victims to be CONFUSED, worried and couldn’t come with terms with what had happened. Victims were desperately searching everywhere, looking for their missing family members and they were EXPOSED to horrors from the aftermath and surrounded by death and DEVASTATION. It is indeed a time of AGONY.
At this stage, an EMOTIONALLY-PSYCHOLOGICAL driven INTERVENTION STRATEGY is much needed to help the victims to recollect themselves, turn their focus towards recovering and rebuilding their home.
JCI Elite’s project emergency team IMMEDIATELY RESPONDED to the call for disaster recovery, visited the affected area with the local Safety and Respond Committee, to gather the needs of more than 10,000 households who were badly affected, and immediately initiated flood recovery mission and donation campaign.
- Raised more than RM60k in-kind donations and cash to purchase the necessity items for more than 7,000 households in Penang island and mainland who are badly affected by the catastrophic
- More than 100 people responded to JCI Elite’s call for volunteers, assisted in the collection, packing and distribution of items to flood victims at the affected area.
- Promoted JCI MOVEMENT to public and LOCAL COMMUNITY who have come forward to help.
- Collaborations and relationship with LOCAL GOVERNMENT, other NGOs, LOCAL BUSINESSES and LOCAL SAFETY and RESPOND COMMITTEE were built and strengthened for future collaborations especially in creating RESILIENCE and ADAPTIVE strategy to address CLIMATE-RELATED HAZARDS thus reducing NATURAL DISASTERS in the state.
- Provide KNOWLDEGE on INSTITUTIONAL CAPACITY on CLIMATE CHANGE MITIGATION, ADAPTATION, the IMPACT REDUCTION and EARLY WARNING to YOUTH and CREATE AWARNESS.
What impact has this project created in the community / nation?
- Bring POSITIVE CHANGE to the flood victims with the fast recovery actions. Flood victims are provided with the necessity and thus enabled them to overcome their worries and they were able to move forward in building their home and life again.
- Participants were more aware with GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE and its negative impact.
- Friendships are built and strengthened through constant communication between members, volunteers, government and local communities.
How has this project help to advance the chosen SDG?
- Over 7,000 household directly benefited
- Local Town Council is educated on UN Sustainable development goals
- Community is more aware of the negative impact from their previous actions that cause climate change and is more responsible now towards the environment
- LOCAL TOWN COUNCIL ADOPT to SDG, and bring into consideration in any future decision making
The tagline for United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs) is “Leaving No One Behind.” explain how your project helps to realize the commitment of UNSDGs for the future.
- The project ensuring that the commitments are translated into effective action.
- We had to GIVE THE OPPORTUNITY for the victims to recover from the lost.
- Emotionally, we could not do any more, but as ACTIVE CITIZEN, we able to be bridging between LOCAL BUSINESSES and the GOVERNMENT to attend the victims MORE EFFICIENCE.
- This project also FOCUSING into UNSDG 6 and 17.
- Initial stage, we rush to provide clean water as people may die from diseases associated with inadequate water supply, sanitation and hygiene.
- Water scarcity, POOR WATER QUALITY and inadequate sanitation negatively impact food security, livelihood choices and educational opportunities for the victims.
- Need to COLLABORATE with NGO and GOVERNMENT to protect and restore water-related ecosystems, including mountains, forests, wetlands,