Goal 5 : Gender Equality
Women Empowerment & Family Development
The Women and Family Development Committee (Jawatankuasa Pembangunan Wanita dan Keluarga or JPWK) were established in January 2019. Officially appointed by the state government, JPWK Kadun Padang Lalang comprises of 15 all-women committee members in Penang. It is a formal structure under the state government with the main function of organizing women empowerment and family development programs. JPWK is unique for being the first of its kind in Penang and the nation.
This project promotes the awareness of gender equality and empower women to take up leadership role through capacity building and programmes that enhance understanding in good governance, women’s health, human rights and community participation.
JPWK Padang Lalang is a team of Women to organise and lead in 4 major categories which are Women, Community, Entrepreneur and Family. We lead, we show to the women that they have the possibility and ability to create a positive changes and right direction in their life.
Category A- Women
1. International Women’s Day Fitness Carnival: Each For Equal
- 500 participants.
- Raise in number of citizen of this area know about JPWK.
- Women and their family have fun throughout the event.
- Both related to health and women issue are well promoted.
- Enhanced women’s confidence.
2. Support Breastfeeding For A Healthier Planet
- 1000 mother participate in this event.
- This program was exposed to other countries like Taiwan and US.
3. Women’s Transformation Program
- Total of participants for these 10 sessions of Facebook Live is more than 1,000.
- AWARENESS CREATED – Through real life stories and experiences sharing, we empower women, lead them and show them the possible the directions for them to create positive changes in their life.
1. Dengue Outbreak Program
- More than 100 resident participated in this program.
- Estimated of 100kg rubbish were cleaned.
- The residents understand the importance of maintaining cleanliness to prevent any outbreaks of diseases. This also improve the living standard of the residents.
2. Love Angel Lunch Box Program
- Total of 19,335 people participated into this program.
- Total of 154,684 boxes of lunch were given away. (RM773,420 donations collected, RM5 each lunch box)
- Drawn attention from a Multinational Company to be a part of the donor and the HR of the company take this project as a part of CSR.
- Promoting vegetarian and go green.
- The Needy save cost on the food which can use for some other daily necessities.
3. Love for Old folk
- Total of 198 dumplings were prepared and give away to the old folk.
- RM1,500 incomes were generated to the single mother who participated in this preparation of dumpling.
Category C- Entrepreneur
1. Distribution of Raya Cookies to front liners
- Total of 5 women participating in the preparation of cookies.
- Total income of RM1,200 were generated for 5 of them.
- Total of 160 front liners received this token of appreciation from the society.
2. Wanita Jana Rezeki
- 10 women were selected and participated in this program.
- Each of them was given RM1,000 as a business kick start fund from Penang state Government.
- 1. Family Explorence
- 15 families were participated to this event.
- Bonding among family members getting closer.
2. Family Video Contest
- 10 families were participated to this event.
- Increase creativity of the participants to prepare an attractive video.
- Bonding among family members getting closer.
WHAT IMPACT HAS THIS PROJECT CREATED IN THE COMMUNITY/ NATION?
The community feel connected, engaged and feel positive. They are happier after having fun activities
and meeting new friends with common interest.
Raise of Confident Level of Women
More women are dare to start their business even in small scale. There will become more independent and also bring more income to the family instead of just being a housewife.
Gain More Respect from Man to Women
As the result of more activities and women stand up to bring up value of women.
Positive Impact to The Community
The community knows that we care for them and feel less stress. This will reduce negative moods and depression to the community. They learned new skills and improve their social interaction and always look forward to the next activity. Together we fight COVID-19. To show to the community that we are one family.
No Races-We Are One
All programme were run and open to everyone, helping hand were given to everyone regardless of races.
HOW WAS THIS PROJECT HELP TO ADVANCE THE CHOSEN SDG?
Increasing Number of Program and participant: It shown the respond from the public is good and there is a need to continue to run these activities to sustain the growth of the community and people.
Penang Stage Government: The sustainability of JPWK with Penang Government Support. The call to the people to participating to all program, financially support.
Partners: Most project are partner from state government related department and private sectors. Many association, company, individual are actively come to us to offer their contribution in term of money and manpower.
Donor: Even most projects were run locally but we manage to get alert from people from other state to become a donor of the projects.
Volunteers: We never face challenges of leaking volunteers or man power. Even during MCO, we have limitation of movement during MCO to deliver the love angel lunch to those people, but we manage to get volunteer to help in delivery with no cost.
THE TAGLINE FOR UNITED NATIONS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS (UNSDGS) IS “LEAVING NO ONE BEHIND.” PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW YOUR PROJECT HELPS TO REALIZE THE COMMITMENT OF UNSDGS FOR THE FUTURE. HIGHLIGHT ANY OTHER SDG(S) THAT YOUR PROJECT HAS DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY CREATED POSITIVE IMPACT TO PEOPLE AND SOCIETY
“Leaving No One Behind”
Goal: This project is JPWK flagship project and will sustain with no due date. This project was initiated since JPWK was establish. We target to bring this project out from Penang and duplicate it to other states. This target could benefit more women in other states instead of Penang state.
Beside Goal 5 Gentle Equality, we do play role and create impact for:
Goal 2: Zero Hunger
Love Angel Lunch Box was launched to give helping hand to those low income earners especially during this period of time. To assure they will not face challenges in food supply.
Goal 3: Good Health and Well Being
Encouraging of breast feeding project is raise awareness of benefit to the babies and mother of
Love Angel Lunch Box is promoting vegetarian food where is good for health.
Goal 4: Quality Education
When a woman is well educated and being positive thinking, this could help in create a healthy environment to the family. Thus, the children will have a good growing environment.
Goal 13: Climate Action
Love Angel Lunch Box- the food provided is vegetarian food.
Promoting vegetarian food and reduce meat.
Positive impact to the earth by reducing the pollution as the demand of meat reduce.
Goal 16: Peace Justice and Strong Institution
All projects are open for everyone regardless races.
The goods and help are giving out to all people regardless races.
Goal 17: Partnership For The Goals
We believe our projects will continue to be sustainable because we do have strong support from Penang State Government.
We also receive a lot of support from private sectors regardless of manpower and financially.
We manage to get attention from a Multination Company on our project without any publicity.