Hairstory, as the name implies has a story to be told. In Hairstory, we strive to be different from other in the industry with the mission to passionately create and uplift the life in every person we met and to instil beauty and confidence to people. Therefore, we planned and created a creative business model that stands out from the rest with the aim to develop hairdressing as a skilled and competitive profession and transform hair and beauty industry into a value-based enterprise that contributes to the growth of economic.
To make hairdressing profession a high demand and high status job in the market, HAIRSTORY INTRAPRENEURSHIP PROGRAM was formulated.
Being the earliest in the industry to create HAIRSTORY INTRAPRENEURSHIP PROGRAM, we have successfully established hairdressing and beauty as a highly-demanded and competitive profession in Penang and become a leader in this very much sought-after industry in Malaysia
WHAT IMPACT HAS THIS PROJECT CREATED IN THE COMMUNITY / NATION?
Hairstory created positive changes to the Penang community and economy with the following:
- Decent and sustainable job creation up to 150 employees since 2010 till present.
- Developed and trained 500 individuals from zero to become experts in hairdressing, hairstyling and beauty industry.
- Fulfilled the hope for better life for youth from poor families through Zero Fee Zero Employment Bond and thus contributed to reduction of youth unemployment and helped youth without chance for employment and further education.
- Enhanced resources sharing and collaborations with partners ranging from local authorities, entrepreneurs, NGOs and media in advancing Sustainable Development Goals nurturing new entrepreneurs and business opportunities in hairdressing related industry contributing to the growth in economy in Penang.
- Media exposure in newspapers and social media to cultivate passion and humanity through CSR initiatives and develop a caring and harmony society, leading to a more sustainable economic growth.
HOW HAS THIS PROJECT HELP TO ADVANCE THE CHOSEN SDG?
The Intrapreneurship Program advanced Sustainable Development Goal 8 in the following indicators:
- 8.2 Achieve higher levels of economic productivity through diversification, skills improvement and innovation in hairdressing industry which is labour intensive sector.
- 8.3 Promote productive activities and provide decent job, new entrepreneurship creation, thus encourage the growth of hairdressing businesses.
- 8.6 Contribute to the reduction of the proportion of youth not in employment, education or training with equal opportunities provided through specially designed Zero Fee Zero Employment Bond.
- 8.8 Protect employee rights whereby they get to have weekend off on rotational basis to spend quality time with family. Promote safe and fun working environments where employees can relate the Hairstory as their second home.
THE TAGLINE FOR UNITED NATIONS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS (UNSDGS) IS “LEAVING NO ONE BEHIND.” EXPLAIN HOW YOUR PROJECT HELPS TO REALIZE THE COMMITMENT OF UNSDGS FOR THE FUTURE.
Our program was designed to be transformational and directly realizing UNSDG Leaving No One Behind pledge. It makes significant advances in relatively not too short a period by addressing inequality on those left behind at the bottom viz. in this case, the unemployed youth from poor family who are often left behind without means to upgrade themselves nor securing job placement. We provide equal chance for this left behind group to develop skills in hairdressing and job opportunities with no fee and bond required after completing the training. This youth will have freedom to pursue their career whether with Hairstory or other entity. In addition, our program indirectly advances three (3) other Sustainable Development goals: HAIRSTORY INTRAPRENEURSHIP PROGRAM provided equal access for youth and young adults to quality vocational education (hairdressing and beauty course) which contributed to the increase in number of youth equipped with relevant skills for employment, decent jobs and entrepreneurship. We ensure our learners and trainees acquire the necessary knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development through vocational skill education and appreciation of cultural diversity amongst our employees in the People Centre Culture approach. Hairstory built and upgraded our salons and training facilities to cater to all people and ensure that it is gender sensitive and provide safe, non-violent, inclusive and effective learning environments for all. We adopt gender equality and empowerment where female employees are respected and support CSR projects in women empowerment. We encourage global partnership by mobilizing strength and sharing expertise with multi stakeholders (founders, partners, NGOs) and international experts (trainers and coaches) to deliver value added innovations towards achievement of sustainable development within the industry
Hair & Beauty industry into a value-based
enterprise that contributes to the growth